Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tofu Meatballs

I was skeptical before I had these, but these are delicious. I've made them several times now and I really like the crunch that the walnuts add. They're versatile too; you can add or take out certain spices. I've adapted this recipe a little each time I've made it and they've turned out fine every time.

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 large onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 large carrot, grated
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried basil
3/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 large egg (I use egg substitute)
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
3/8 cup walnuts, ground
1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped (I used dried)
3/4 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons chicken broth
salt and pepper, to taste
1 1/2 pounds firm tofu, pressed
(I have also added a little worchestershire sauce and hamburger seasoning)

Saute the onion, carrot, pepper, garlic and dried herbs in oil until tender, for about 10 minutes. In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs, then add bread crumbs, walnuts, parsley, olive oil and chicken broth. Crumble the pressed tofu with your hands and add it to the bowl, along with the sauteed vegetables. Mix well. Form into 1 1/2 inch balls and place on an oiled baking sheet. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes or until crisp brown on the outside. Add cooked "meat"balls to your favorite tomato sauce and serve over your favorite pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment