Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Easy Minestrone Soup

I like to play a game called, "use-up-what-you-have-before-you-go-shopping-again." Well, I happened to have some cabbage and I felt like soup, so I made minestrone for lunch. Here's my version of minestrone that is easy, healthy and perfect for these cold winter days.

Easy Minestrone Soup

1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 T. olive oil
2 t. minced garlic
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 zucchini, diced
1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage
1 can bean with bacon soup (or pork and beans)
4 teaspoons chicken base (or 3 cubes chicken boullion)
Italian seasoning
dash of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste

In large stockpot, saute onion and celery in olive oil until tender, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and stir about 30 seconds. Add carrots, tomatoes, zucchini, cabbage, canned soup, chicken base and seasonings and 3-4 cups water (can add more as it cooks off). Bring to boil and let simmer at least 20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe yesterday. It was really good, except I put too much chicken bullion in, so it was pretty intense. Other than that it was great. Good way to get my vegetables in for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kjirsti - good luck on your landscaping project! I would love to see your photos at mamawoolley at yahoo dot com (would you erase this comment after reading so I don't get a bunch more spam?!). I think the hardest thing after the project is keeping each plant watered - they need to spread their roots out from a pot shape but until then you have to get them watered deeply right where their roots are and sprinklers might not do the job! And also remember that to garden is to kill plants - it happens to all of us sometimes, so don't get discouraged. Dogwoods do not do well in intense heat, especially in Utah's intense sun/dry heat, so I wouldn't recommend one for the south or west sides of your home (a crabapple would be a better small ornamental tree for those sides). East or north would be fine - you could probably plant as close as 5 feet though you might have to prune a bit in a decade or two.

    ReplyDelete