Thursday, May 28, 2009

Spanish Rice

Back in my office-working days, I got an authentic Mexican rice recipe (okay, it was more of "add a little of this, and a little of that" kind of thing) from one of the girls at work. It never turned out quite like the standard rice you get at most Mexican restaurants. So, I found this one online last weekend and tried it and it is really good. The best Spanish rice I've ever made. (You know it's a keeper when your 3-year-old asks to eat it for lunch 2 days in a row afterwards). Normally I make brown rice, but since it was my first time making it, I used the white rice it specified. Next time, I'm going to use brown rice and cook it longer.

Note: I tried it with brown rice and just cooked it longer (until the rice was done) and it was really good.

(recipe via menuplanning101)

2 cups white rice
vegetable oil
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/2 onion, diced4 cloves garlic, minced
4 cubes chicken bouillon
1 heaping tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 c. water

Pour rice in a large pot. Add enough oil to cover every grain. Toast rice over med. heat, stirring constantly, being careful not to burn rice. (Takes about 15 minutes) Once rice is browned, add in peppers, onion, garlic, and bouillon. Cook until onions are tender and garlic is fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add spices, tomato paste, and water. Stir until just blended. Cover pan and heat to boiling. Once boiling, turn heat to low and let rice simmer until all liquid has evaporated (about 30 minutes). DO NOT REMOVE LID. Once all liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat, and fluff with fork.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my cup o tea! I'm gonna give this one a good wackamole!

    ReplyDelete