Thursday, January 14, 2010

Vegetarian Sloppy Joes


I love sloppy joes. I always have. And I was not about to stop eating them just because I resolved to eat less meat. So, I played around with sloppy joe mixes and sauces, rice and beans, and came up with a pretty good alternative to the meat version. As always, feel free to substitute and tweak according to your tastes and/or what you have on hand.

1 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained
1-15 ounce can pinto beans or black beans, drained
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 packet sloppy joe seasoning mix or 1 can sloppy joe sauce
1 can tomato paste (if using seasoning mix)

In a medium sauce pan, warm the tomato paste, water and seasoning mix according to package directions. Or, pour sloppy joe sauce into pan, if using that instead. Mix in the beans and rice, heat through and serve on whole wheat buns. Alternative cooking method: crock pot.

Easy peasy!

Note: I prefer homemade sloppy joes, rather than using flavoring packets, but I have yet to find a homemade recipe that I like. So, if you have a good one, please let me know. I would love to try it.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh! Great idea. How do you think barley would work instead of the rice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a sloppy joe lover as well. I made these for dinner and they turned out soo good! Also I used barley because I had some in the pantry, great idea Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of trying Sloppy Joes with these ingredients - will have to give it a try! There is a recipe for homemade Sloppy Joe sauce that I like at jamiecooksitup.net.

    ReplyDelete