Monday, August 24, 2009

Quinoa Vegetable Stew

Anyone who knows me well knows that I sometimes can take the term "pour it in the pot" a little too literally. I've had some good and not-so-good experiences cleaning out my fridge and combining everything into a meal. (Travis won't let my infamous barley crockpot dish rest). But, this, I can assure you, is not one of those disasters. I have made several different versions of this stew and it is delicious, if I do say so myself. You can't go wrong. Feel free to adapt the recipe according to what you have in your fridge. Just be sure to serve it with some good bread. Pictured here is Fire Bread from Whole Foods bakery.
1 yellow onion, diced small
3 ribs celery, diced small
Olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 large carrots, diced
1 can corn, drained
1 can kidney beans (or any bean of your choice), drained
1 red pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 cup dry quinoa
6 cups water
4 chicken or vegetable bouillion cubes
1/2 jar spaghetti sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large stockpot, saute onion and celery in olive oil until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and saute 1 minute. Add the carrots, corn, beans, pepper, zucchini, quinoa, water and bouillion cubes and stir well. Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium-low and cover to simmer for 30 minutes. Watch to make sure there is enough water and add water if it needs. Once the quinoa is cooked, add the spaghetti sauce and the salt and pepper. Serve with your favorite bread.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to make this for dinner tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I love this blog! I made this yesterday and we LOVED IT!!!!!! I made it with Red Quinoa and just used whatever vegetables I had and it turned out beautifully. We also had it with whole wheat pita bread...yum!

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete